Rando Guillestrois

The Tour of Guillestre

2 h
Duration
Easy
Easy
Loop
Loop
12 km
Total Length
649 m
Ascent
-651 m
Descent
Uses
  • Mountain bike

Departure : Office de Tourisme → Arrival : Office de Tourisme

This pleasant tour around Guillestre has no major difficulty and offers a varied, enjoyable environment with a few short uphill stretches.

Starting from the Guillestre tourist office, go past the post office and take Joseph Mathieu street. At the end of the street, turn left and at the next junction follow the Chemin “des Chapelles”. At the Saint Roch chapel, turn right and follow the road that becomes a dirt track after the last houses. This track crosses the agricultural plateau of Gaboyer and goes down to the end of it, first through a meadow and then through a forest, before linking up to a footbridge over the Guil. To the right, after the footbridge, continue up the right bank of the Guil on a wide rocky path to the Simoust bridge. Cross over the bridge, then start a steep but short climb up a tarmacked road. After the second hairpin bend, turn left onto an easy footpath in order to reach the “Sugar Loaf” and skirt it to the north. At the road, head towards Guillestre and cross to the left after the bridge. Go straight on past the back of the housing estate up to the Combe Chauve forestry trail. Continue up for approximately 1 km before heading right to follow a downhill technical footpath. Now, simply follow the forestry trail and return to Guillestre by going right in front of the marble workshop to link up to the Queyras roundabout then the town centre.

Clic for map interaction

On the way...
water
Salva fountain

Many fountains were also built to honor great men or events. Joseph Salva was one such figure: a tireless construction manager who achieved a great deal to improve the water supply to agricultural land including the construction of the Cristillan floodway in the Ceillac valley among many others. Today these channels still exist, managed and maintained by the canal association (ASA).

fortification
Walled Town

Nothing now remains of the Guillestre Castle dating from the 13th century, although manuscripts from the time confirm its presence. However the towers and ramparts that are still visible show that Guillestre was heavily fortified and bear witness to the protective role it played in those days.

water
Font d'Eygliers water fountain

The many water fountains in the village remind us that "Font" means “source” which is where the name “Font Eygliers” comes from. Note the “naïs” near the water fountain: stone basins that are filled with water for retting hemp. Retting is soaking the hemp in water to allow the fibers to separate from the stem.

fortification
Eygliers tower

Voici l'une des tours de l'enceinte fortifiée de Guillestre. Les travaux de construction sont en cours en 1397 lorsque la tour s’effondre sur elle-même, pour cause de malfaçons. L’ironie du sort veut que ce soit aujourd’hui la tour la mieux conservée de l’ancienne fortification !. Site fermé.

Geology
Rue des masques

Cette étrange faille est due à l’effondrement partiel de la falaise de « pouding ». Cet évènement dût se produire au Moyen-Age, cela frappa l’imagination de la population. Pendant des siècles, les bergers racontèrent que des géants monstrueux et des nains turbulents faisaient des apparitions dans ces lieux. Dès lors, les voyageurs cessèrent de passer par ce chemin une fois la nuit tombée. Il est intéressant de préciser que le nom de rue des « Masques » vient du provençal « Masco » qui désigne précisément des sorciers qui jouent aux boules avec les rochers.

fortification
Lunette d'arçon

In 1700 Vauban had already recommended the construction of three advanced defensive elements. The first half-moon was built between 1728 and 1731, but the other two were never constructed. The building was then modified following orders from General Arçon in 1792 with the addition of a tower connected to the main fort by an underground tunnel.

water
Canal Salva

Ce "pont" que vous voyer enjamber la route du Queyras est un canal. il s'agit du canal Salva, construit par l'ingénieur du même nom en 1872. Ce canal prend l'eau dans le torrent du Cristillan à Ceillac à 1300m d'altitude. il chemine sur plus de 6km jusqu’à Guillestre où l'eau sert encore à l'irrigation des cultures, notamment sur le plateau du Simoust.

Geology
Pain de sucre

Ce cône calcaire, vestige de la dernière ère glaciaire est idéalement situé pour permettre une lecture de paysage du Guillestrois tant sur le plan géologique que botanique. Un panneau du Centre Briançonnais de Géologie Alpine vous apporte de nombreuses informations. Quant à son nom, Pain de sucre viendrait d'une évolution dans le temps de : Gramison, Grandes maisons, pain de Suc (lo sucas=grosse tête, patois) puis Pain de sucre !

religious
Notre Dame d'Aquilon Church

In the centre of Guillestre you will find the majestic Notre Dame d'Aquilon Church with its imposing door with its famous Stylophore lions (from the Greek word meaning bearer of a column) typical of Lombard architecture that can also be found in other Guillestre churches. Note the use of local construction materials: tufa stone, pink Guillestre marble and larch wood roof shingles.

rural
Farm 1 La Font d'Eygliers

Farm with a winery, typical of permanent rural dwellings in mountain villages with a central water fountain. The hamlet of La Font consisted mainly of wineries that were kept busy because Eygliers has the sunniest slopes of the area, ideal for vineyards.

rural
The Font d'Eygliers communal oven

The oven is in a stone building covered with larch shingles. The communal oven was as much a focal point of village life as the water fountain. Water and bread: the basic daily frugal diet at the turn of the century. Bread was baked to last for several days or even weeks. Nothing like our modern baguette ...

religious
Saint-Antoine Church

This simple Romanesque church is the parish church for the inhabitants of Mont Dauphin fortress. A beautiful porch enhances its simple facade, with pink marble columns and smoothed flagstone floors. Look out for the two animal heads carved on one of the doors and inside, rare 16th century paintings discovered in 1968.

religious
Sainte-Marie-Madeleine Chapel

This is a small chapel surrounded by houses in the hamlet of La Font d'Eygliers. Manuscripts dating from the 17th century tell the story of a baby who was abandoned on the steps of the chapel but who was then rescued. During the 1994 renovation of the chapel scenes from the life of St. Madeleine were painted on the walls.

rural
Fairgrounds

Ici se tenait la célèbre foire de la Saint-Luc où Français et Italiens des vallées voisines venaient vendre et acheter leurs bestiaux. Si l’emplacement a changé, la foire agricole de la Saint-Luc se déroule toujours chaque année en octobre. C’est probablement l’une des plus grandes foires agricoles des Hautes-Alpes, et sûrement la plus ancienne, puisque son origine remonte au Moyen-âge.

rural
Medieval house

Ici vous pouvez encore voir la façade en bois d'une maison du XVème qui abritait la boutique d’un artisan et son logis au-dessus. Avec ses remparts, Guillestre est une cité sûre. La population se fait donc de plus en plus nombreuse et la place vient à manquer. Pour tenter de gagner de l’espace, certaines maisons sont astucieusement agrandies au-dessus des ruelles, créant ainsi de pittoresques passages abrités, comme vous pouvez le voir ici. Ce site est privé, non accessible au public.

Altitude profile

Altitude (m)

Min : 906 m - Max : 1232 m

Distance (m)