Rando Guillestrois

Via Mont-Dauphin

1 h 30
Duration
Easy
Easy
Loop
Loop
14 km
Total Length
289 m
Ascent
-288 m
Descent
Uses
  • Mountain bike

Departure : Aerodrome de Saint-Crepin → Arrival : Aerodrome de Saint Crepin

This itinerary is a good warm-up on the mountain biking site in the Guillestre area. In particular, it will enable you to cross the fortified site of Mont-Dauphin, which is an emblematic site of the Guillestre area. Not to be missed!

From Saint-Crépin aerodrome, cross the bridge and continue straight on up to the railway track. Take the road to the right and go under the main road using the underpass further on. When you reach the crossing at the entrance to Saint-Crépin, turn right then at the first crossing, turn left, then immediately right on the road that crosses the estate. The road becomes a dirt track, goes past the Croix des Hodouls (cross), crosses the Merdanel stream and goes up to the hamlet of Hodouls on a tarmacked road. At this hamlet take the road to the right that goes past the houses and links up to a pleasant single track along the edge of the field. At the crossing with the Guillermin stream, continue opposite up to La Frairie. Then take the road as far as Eygliers. Turn right to reach Mont-Dauphin, highlight of the route. Enter Mont-Dauphin by the Briançon gateway, cross the fortified site and leave by the Embrun gateway. Head down to St Guillaume and take the road left for a few hundred metres, then take the path to the right along the Guil dyke. Go under the main road bridge and cross the rail road at the level crossing. Follow the road around the lake and the leisure park before heading left at the football ground to link up to a trail that follows the left bank of the Durance river. Near to Saint-Crépin, head left on a small path in the undergrowth that leads to the dyke. At the road, cross the bridge over the Durance river to get back to the start point.

Topoguide

Map of mountain bike trails Guillestrois

Transport

Road Access

Access

Aerodrome of Saint-Crépin

Clic for map interaction

On the way...
fortification
Lunette d'arçon

In 1700 Vauban had already recommended the construction of three advanced defensive elements. The first half-moon was built between 1728 and 1731, but the other two were never constructed. The building was then modified following orders from General Arçon in 1792 with the addition of a tower connected to the main fort by an underground tunnel.

rural
Winery 1

Walking down the Rue de l’Archevêché both old entrance gates can be seen, you will notice many beautifully carved stones some depicting vines, grapes and leaves and also homes that formerly served as wineries like this one. The winery housed the wine press, the tank, barrels and utensils necessary for growing grapes and making wine. Most were built in the 16th and 17th centuries. They are privately owned and not open to visitors.

religious
Saint-Antoine Church

This simple Romanesque church is the parish church for the inhabitants of Mont Dauphin fortress. A beautiful porch enhances its simple facade, with pink marble columns and smoothed flagstone floors. Look out for the two animal heads carved on one of the doors and inside, rare 16th century paintings discovered in 1968.

religious
Chapel of St. Guillaume

The chapel of St. Guillaume is closed to the public but it is the Legend of St Guillaume that is of most interest. For centuries, the miraculous hand of Saint Guillaume has been the object of pilgrimages and prayers, so on the only day of the year that the chapel is open - Easter Monday - do not miss the procession that brings the hand of St. Guillaume in a casket to the chapel. The local tradition is then to tap hard-boiled eggs, whoever’s egg cracks first has to buy the next round!

Altitude profile

Altitude (m)

Min : 883 m - Max : 1052 m

Distance (m)